- 1 quart vegetable oil(for frying) shopping list
- 1(10 1/4ounce)can beef gravy shopping list
- 5 medium potatoes, cut into fries shopping list
- 2 cups cheese curds shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep heavy skillet to 365°F (185°C).
- Warm gravy in saucepan or microwave.
- Place the fries into the hot oil, and cook until light brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Place the fries on a serving platter, and sprinkle the cheese over them.
- Ladle gravy over the fries and cheese, and serve immediately.
In keeping with our traditional French Canadian culture here is a tourtière recipe that will leave your mouth watering!!!
Typically we’re feeding a large family but feel free to ½ this recipe or freeze some. (Not every family has 14 kids like in the good old days ha!!)
Les Bucherons Famous Tourtière
10.5 cups flour
1.5 lbs Crisco
2.5 cup very cold water plus maybe a little more
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp heaping baking powder
Follow instructions on Crisco box on how to make dough.
10 lbs (not lean) ground pork
2 cups water
2 cups chopped onions
3 tsp salt
3 tsp pepper
3 tsp sage or to taste
2 grated raw potatoes
2-3 cups fine bread crumbs
Using a BIG pot on low heat, mix pork, water, onions, grated potatoes, salt and pepper. Stir often and cook for about 20 min. Turn burner to med adding the sage and enough bread crumbs to absorb the liquid. Cook for a little while longer till pork and potatoes are cooked.
Make pie crust, add enough filling to fill pie plate and cover with top crust. Bake on low rack @ 375 degrees if you are using foil pie plates. Med. rack for other kinds of plates for approx. 20-30 minutes.
If meat pies are frozen, thaw the night before. Reheat in oven at 350 degrees for approx. 30-40 min till heated right through. They taste much better if reheated in the oven vs a microwave.